Monday, January 6, 2014

Goodbye 2013

Growth.

If I had to describe the year 2013 in one word it would be: Growth.
This past year was a roller coaster ride filled with highs and lows and twists and turns. I was happy, sad, excited, depressed, angry, and frustrated. You name it, I felt it all this year.

At the beginning of 2013, I was accepted into the University of North Florida. It also marked change for me as I changed my major from something that I felt everyone wanted me to do, to something that I have always wanted to do. I sought God's will out on the matter and I am so happy that He gave me the opportunity to learn more about what I am truly passionate about---writing.

This past year was also a year of big family decisions. My husband and I were able to make important decisions for the well being of our family and future children. In the process, The Lord truly humbled me and taught me about what it really meant to "submit to my husband". Although, we oftentimes have differing views, I learned to put my trust not in my husband, but in the God that my husband serves. Knowing that I am married to a God-fearing man who seeks out the Lord's will was really what made it possible for me trust in the decisions that he made.

We received an abundance of blessings in 2013. My husband and I had been praying for a better vehicle for him and after months of praying and searching we finally found the "perfect" vehicle in Georgia. Having the funds for it was nothing short of miraculous and we know that the Lord's hand was in that as well. He was also able to become an NRA certified instructor this year, as well as start up a firearms business with one of his brothers. That was a large blessing in that he was able to pursue something that he is truly passionate about.

I started a book in 2013! I'm not very far along, but writing my first book has been something I've wanted to do for years; I've always just found excuses not to do it. Whether it be, I'm too tired, or I'll do it tomorrow, or I can think of a better idea some other day. I'm so glad that my dream is in the making and I'm looking forward to sharing the finished product with you all someday!

We also experienced loss this year. My husband and I felt the love and loss of a child that wasn't yet born. As much as that experience broke me, it also helped me grow. For a time, I was distrustful of the Lord's plan and love for me. I was also confused and broken and I didn't know what to do. It really brought a strain on my marriage and caused many heated arguments, but we grew from it. My husband and I are more in love than ever and we know that God has a purpose to everything that He does. As much as it hurts us or as much as we don't understand, we still know that we are undeserving of the blessings He gives us and we continue to believe that His timing is the best timing.

The end of this year was also filled with changes. Our current pastor at our church, Grace Fellowship,  decided that it was time for him to retire and our church merged with another church, Journey Church. The changes in the church body made me wary of how some would react, but the Lord really worked in the hearts of everyone in the congregation and the support for our pastor, the board, and the decisions that they made was overwhelming. While my husband, Brendon, is no longer a youth pastor; we are both excited and to see what the year 2014 brings and the opportunities that it holds to allow us to serve in God's kingdom.

The last day of 2013 was a major day for me. It was my last day of work! The exclamation mark doesn't exactly mean that I'm ecstatic that I resigned, but it has been something that I've talked and prayed about and it seemed the perfect time to do so. So 2014 holds endless possibilities for me and my family. I'm currently in a few interview stages for jobs in a different field and I know that I can trust the will of God to work in that area of my life.

So this previous year has truly been a year of growth. I'm honestly thankful for all the experiences that got me to where I am today---both the good and the bad. Happy New Year to all my readers out there. From the United States and all around the globe. I can't thank you enough for reading this blog and it truly excites me when I log in and see that my posts are being read not just here in the states, but also outside the country as well. So thank you for your support and I hope that this new year brings you and your family many blessings!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perserverace finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1: 2-4 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment