Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Current Read


I am currently reading, The Dark House, by John Sedgwick. This is the first of his books that I've read and it's the first mystery that I've gotten into in a while. The book is basically about a man, Edward, who has a hobby of following randomly selected vehicles to their destinations and he records the details of his pursuits on a handheld recorder. After the car he is trailing reaches its' destination---he leaves. Sound boring? Well it gets interesting when one of the people he trails acts sketchy and it brings Edward to break his biggest rule: Never go back after following someone. He breaks that rule and the man that went into that house is somehow acquainted with Edward and  is following him, in a sense. Edward is on a journey to uncover what this man knows and wants. 
So far, (I'm only 60 pages into it) the character development has been very thorough, but slow to get going. The author did really well on portraying the Boston setting. I've never been to Boston, but you can tell that the author either did thorough research, or he has previous experience with the location. The development of Edward's past and the use of flashbacks is also done well, but slow. Slow isn't necessarily bad though, sometimes it makes for a more suspenseful book and in this case, it works well for the author. 
                       I'll let you guys know my thoughts when I finish reading it!



This book is one of my all-time favorite books, written by one of my favorite Christian authors. It will always have a permanent place on my bookshelf. I re-read it last week and just wanted to give it a shout-out for all of the avid readers out there.
Brief Synopsis: College student, Seth, has an IQ greater than Einstein and somehow acquires the ability to see various futures. He uses this ability to help a runaway Muslim princess thwart the dangerous people pursuing her. (For example: In a situation where he could be killed, he sees hundreds of possibilities in a split second. If he takes a step left, he sees the outcome versus if he runs out the door, etc.) And of course, what sealed the deal for me; the love story that Dekker tied into it. It's a must-read!


No comments:

Post a Comment